SPINAL MANIFESTATIONS of spinal CSF (cerebrospinal) leaks occur with variable frequency.
– pain or tightness between shoulder blades
– arm pain or numbness (from traction on cervical nerve roots)
– local back pain at level of CSF leak
– pain, numbness, weakness at other spinal levels from nerve root compression or traction, often from extrathecal CSF collections
– neurologic deficit related to compression of the spinal cord by fluid collections which manifests in a variety of ways, for example, quadriplegia or changes in gait
– upper limb weakness with muscular atrophy